Tuesday, April 12, 2011

J.Crew Ad

 I am currently in a class on gender and sexuality. Lately I've been fascinated by gender roles, how gender roles are conditioned by society and how other gender functions are predetermined. I take the "one sex" approach. I believe there are more differences between women then between women and men and vice versa. We all have a varying degree of feminine and masculine qualities. I think celebrating and fostering both sides in ourselves and in others is needed. I was on the website ADfreak.com and found this picture....

This is Jenna Lyons, creative director at J.Crew, with her son Beckett. This was featured in their catalog promoting neon pink nail polish as well as their clothing.
To quote fox news this is "blatant propaganda celebrating transgendered children."- Erin Brown. Fox news goes on to say this is a hidden liberal, transgenders politics agenda. Who says pink has to be a gender specific color!?! I love the ad.    

No comments:

Post a Comment