Monday, December 6, 2010

Spanish Culture

This trip to Europe is my first experience with extended immersion in a different culture. Although I might argue that some places in the US have given me more of a culture shock then Europe has. Maybe that's because I knew what to expect here. You don't always know what to expect in rural America. I digress. I mainly just want to point out some things I find unique about the Spanish culture.


1. These are some proud people. Especially proud of their region. I've traveled to 8-9 cities within Spain and they are all so drastically different. Different tongues, foods, traditions. There are 17 autonomous regions.
2. Schedule:
3.They eat a tiny breakfast in the morning. For example cereal in a cup or a small pastry maybe a piece of fruit and coffee.
4. Then they don't eat until 2! I still haven't figured out how they go that long off a small breakfast. The lunch is always huge though. Being in Cantabria I eat fish for almost every lunch and dinner. They serve a lot of veggies, soups, rice, and always patatas (french fries). The only dressing you'll find is oil and vinegar. They also love their white bread. A baguette is served with everything.
5. Siesta is an after lunch nap. Almost all shops are closed. Everyone gets some down time.
6. Living here has been the slowest place and most relaxing three moths. People enjoy, covet food and sleep. They enjoy everything to the fullest. If there is ever an excuse for a Fiesta they'll take it.
7. My favorite is Tapas for dinner starting at 10! My favorite food here is the Spanish tortilla. I'm determined to learn how to make it back in the states.
It's like an omelet with potatoes
8. In the cafeteria at school all of the Spanish kids eat together and they all get up to leave at the same time. If someone leaves before everyone is done they tap their glasses and cuss at that person. A little intense but I love that the meal time is still about community, about being together, about socializing. In the states everyone is on their own rushed schedule.
9. There are strikes in Spain Monthly.
10. It's common place to see the old men taking a strolls and hear them singing old songs. This is by far my favorite thing about Spain!
11. People don't go out on the town until 12. They don't make it home until 4am or later. Again I'm still trying to figure out how they wake up in a timely fashion.
12. Men and women Do not make much physical contact when dancing, unlike the full on grind dance of Americans. We learned this the embarrassing way our first night in Madrid.
13. Everything is on a smaller scale like doorways, ceilings, archways. It's not even like everyone is short here though. hmm.
14. The men are really into their looks.
15. It's normal to live with your parents until you are in your 30's.
16. PDA is a way of life (probably because everyone lives with their parents)
17. It's rare to be invited into the house of a Spaniard. Meeting places are all in the plazas and streets.
18. They listen to a lot of American music.
19. There are dead hams hanging everywhere.
20. Yesterday I was at a sandwich place, and their "vegetable" sandwich had Ham in it. It's impossible to be a vegetarian here.
21. All the showers are hand held.

I'll keep adding to the list as I think of things!

No comments:

Post a Comment